Friday, August 10, 2018

Crochet to the Rescue



Thank goodness for crochet! My mother has dementia, and the very day Dad and I visited and reserved an apartment for her in an assisted living home, she fell and broke her hip. Fortunately, she had almost no pain, and her surgery to fix the break was successful. Dad and I didn't realize that we would be in the hospital all day yesterday, and I just happened to pick up my day pack which contained a book, crochet and some snacks. Dad was thrilled about the snacks and I was thrilled to have the crochet to keep my hands and mind busy as we waited. This is a picture of my little project: a partially finished doll blanket. It will be the right size for an 18" doll, but for now my tiny BJD, Pinky seems taken with it. I am sad that my mother is failing, but relieved that she is feeling good and is able to move around with assistance. She will spend about two weeks in a rehab facility and then be reevaluated to determine whether she should be placed in assisted living or a dementia unit. I will definitely keep a bag packed with crochet and/or knitting (and snacks for Dad) as we face an uncertain future. Thank you for reading this post. Peace.

2 comments:

  1. It is so hard having someone in your family have dementia. My Mum has Alzheimers and it has been heartbreaking for the whole family. My thoughts are with you for sure.

    Lovely that you had the foresight to take some crochet with you. Looks like it is going to be a lovely blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Serenata. Thank you for commenting. I dont think anyone can truly comprehend the horrors of dementia until they've experienced it first hand. I feel like it's far more devastating than a physical illness. On Mom's good days, I find myself hoping this diagnosis is a mistake, only to have those hopes crushed the next day as she withdraws back into herself and away from reality. Thank you for your kind words and support. I am heartbroken that your family is dealing with this too. I wish the very best for you all.
    This funny print skein of yarn is crocheting up better than i thought it would. It was a total disaster to try to knit with. Besides, it is worsted weight, and i just dont enjoy knitting with thick yarn. It's hard on the hands.
    Thanks again. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete